Nowadays, making a good resume is so essential that, without a good resume impressing someone to hire you for a job is nearly impossible.
So, here are a few Steps to make a good resume, that you should follow to make your resume eye-catching: –
1. Choose a suitable resume format
you should always choose the resume format that suits you the most from the given types of the resumes.
The three standard types of a resume include:-
- Chronological Resume: –
This format is the most common format used by many of the candidates.
As the name i.e. Chronological is suggesting that a chronological resume is a resume which Is organized by the job titles and description, which will be always listed in a particular manner that is in reverse chronological order. That is the work experience will be listed by the jobs you have done in reverse chronological order with the most recent job to be listed first and the first job you have done will be listed last.
- Functional Resume: –
People who have gaps in their Professional experience, for them the Functional resume is the best option. With this format of the resume, you can highlight your skills and abilities as opposed to the chronological order of experience.
- Combination or targeted resume: –
This format is the combination of both chronological and functional resume and also knows as the Hybrid resume.
In this format, it allows us to highlight the strongest section of the resume whether it can be: Education, Skills, or Other work histories.
This format is helpful to those who have a lot of special skills and accomplishments.
2. Get the Contact Information Personal details right
You should always get your contact information and your personal details like the contact number and your name, your father’s name and your E-mail address Right.
You should always double check this information.
3. Always introduce the resume with a heading statement
You should always introduce your resume with a suitable heading statement. A resume which is professional, the heading statement of such resume is so much important to get right.
You have to make a statement cleverly, which will make it interesting and will paint an attractive image of the resume and your candidacy and will help you catch the eye of the evaluator. And will also help you stand different from the crowd.
Think about accomplishments you’ve had, not necessarily meaning solid sales numbers or percentages. Were you involved in something that had great success? If so, include it! Showing what you’ve done beyond your daily duties is what will prompt employers to call you. Employers want to hire someone who exhibits motivation, participation, and ambition.Erin Kennedy
You should always follow a particular pattern to share your work experience in details like:-
- Job Title: – The job you have previously done its title should go on the top of each entry of your working history so that it became easier for the employer to read and check. You should make it bold or increase the font size just to make it stand out from other information.
- Company: – And in the next line after the job title, you should Include the previous company’s name and city and state where it was situated.
- Dates Employed: – You should always put the time you have been working for in the previous company. You can add both the month and the year of joining and leaving the company, but there is no need to put the exact dates.
- Key Responsibilities: – you don’t have to list every single task you did in your job history. You should focus on the few duties which are most relevant to your new job. You should write that in the section named,” key achievements”.
5. List the Education section correctly on your resume
You should not treat the education section as a reconsider able and take this section very lightly but you shouldn’t do this.
Here are the steps of how to put the education section on your resume: –
- The right way to put the education section, is to write the highest degree on the first number.
- And you should add the other degrees after, and that should always be in reverse chronological order.
- And if you have just completed your graduation then there is no need to show-case your high school info.
- And you should add the relevant rewards if any.
6. Put Relevant Skills on the Resume
Other than your experience and education, You should consider listing your achievements related to the field if any. And your key skills on your resume to make it stand out from the others.
There are only two options, whether your resume is not prepared to be served at the moment or it is prepared with the perfect resume skills.
There is no way stage between these two options.
Here’s the list of some of the common skills that you can put on your resume to make it stand out.
- Communication skills
- Job specific skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Technical skills
- Critical skills
- Pressure handling
- Transferable skills
7. Include other important resume sections
We should always include some more sections in our resume to make it more personalized.
To make it more personalized we should include some extra sections like:-
- Hobbies and interests
Listing your hobbies describes your ability to work as a team member. And the coaching can help you verify your leadership and management proficiency.
Doesn’t matter if you were the team captain of your high school team or not, the employer just wants an idea of whether you can work well with a team or not.
- Volunteer work
If you list any volunteer experience as one of the additional section in your resume then it is a great way to show your commitment towards your work & the society. And it also shows that you not only care about the money. And for the fresher or you can say the entry level applicants, who do not have any experience of the on-site work. Volunteering experience makes an excellent stand-in.
If you have made or worked on any projects during your high schooling then mentioning about those will be a great way to show case your knowledge about the field.
- Awards and certificates
If you have got any certifications or awards during your college time than you can list them as well to show your skills. And if they are relevant to the job and industry then you should include them in your resume.
If you can speak another language, then that is impressive. You should also specify that quality of yours.
8. You should prepare a cover letter for your resume as the final touch
A cover letter is a letter sent with the resume, which gives us brief about the content of the resume. And it allows you to speak easily not in normal sentences about the content in the resume.
9. Wrap it up nicely
You have done most of your work. And you are almost there but don’t just send it off just yet.
You should always double check your resume before sending it out to the different companies. and scan the resume before sending it out for the recruitment or job interviews.
You should double check your resume and cover letter with grammar checking tools like Grammarly. It is a nice option to check if there is any grammar mistake in your CV or resume.
And then you should also get it checked from your friends and family just to triple check.
If you are facing any problem in making your Resume with perfect formatting, Then feel free to contact us.
We will help you with the best Resume as per your requirement.
You can hire us by clicking here on: – Make my Resume