(1) (a) Evaluate the following.
(b)Convert the answer in part (a) to binary.
(2) A computer stores the floating number in 32 bit where 1 bit for the sign, 8 bits for the exponent having a biased or (+127) and mantissa has a hidden bit. Show how the floating-point value of -14.3125 would be represented in that computer.
(3) Perform the following calculation in BCD8421. Convert your answer to denary.
3428 - 1089
(Note: Perform the subtraction by using 10’s complement)
(4) A = 5.6 is corrected to 1 decimal place and B = 2.65 is corrected to 3 significant figures. Calculate the absolute error and percentage relative error for A2 - 3B.
Note: Correct your answer to 4 decimal places.
(5) A group of five applicants for a pair of identical jobs consists of three men and two women. The employer is to select two of the five applicants for the jobs. Let S denote the set of all possible outcomes for the employer’s selection, A denote the subset of outcomes corresponding to the selection of two men and B denote the subset corresponding to the selection of at least one woman.
Note: Denote the different men and women by M1, M2 & M3 and W1 & W2 respectively.
List the outcomes in
(a) S, A & B
(6) A sample space contains 5 elements E1, E2, E3, E4 and E5.
(7) A bag contains 2 white balls, 3 black balls and 4 red balls. In how many ways can 3 balls be drawn from the bag, if at least one black ball is to be included in the draw?
(8) 20 buses are running between places Kuala Lumpur and Seremban. In how many ways can a person go from Kuala Lumpur to Seremban and return by a different bus?