Case Study: Police Department Consent Decree/Agreement
You are assigned to the Research and Development Unit of the Virtual Police Department. The Unit Director asked you to prepare a presentation for the Chief on U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) consent decrees and agreements. It seems one of the Chief's close professional colleagues is now subject to such an agreement. The Chief wants to be sure he has done everything possible to avoid finding the Virtual Police Department in a similar predicament. The format of the presentation is quite simple. Using a selected city that is currently under (or recently been under) a DOJ consent decree/agreement as a reference, provide the Chief with direction on how to avoid being subject to DOJ oversight.
Review the document, "Addressing Police Misconduct Laws Enforced by the Department of Justice
Link:/content/enforced/145914-001420-01-2165-OL1-6380/Police Misconduct Laws Enforced by DOJ.docx
or the same document using an alternate link
Select one of the following as your subject case study police department:
- The Warren (Ohio) Police Department
- The Cincinnati (Ohio) Police Department
- The Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) Bureau of Police
- Briefly describe the situation(s) and/or event(s) that led up to DOJ oversight in the form of a consent decree/agreement (no more than 20% of the paper)
- Briefly outline the provisions of the consent decree/agreement. What actions is the department required to take? What changes in the department required to make? (no more than 20% of the paper)
- Connect the provisions of the consent decree/agreement to the initiating causes.
- Describe in detail what the Virtual Police Department needs to do in order to avoid following in the footsteps of the subject police department or otherwise find itself subject to DOJ oversight in the form of a consent decree/agreement (no less than 40% of the paper)
- a cover page with your name, project title, course, and date submitted
- an introductory section that explains the purpose of the paper
- the body of the paper, which addresses four (4) elements outlined in Assignments
- a minimum of seven (7) maximum of 10 FULL narrative pages, not including the cover page and references page and submit to the assignments folder.
- The composition may be a combination of outline and narrative with outline statements separated by no more than double spacing, 12 pt. font, and 1-inch margins.
- A minimum of three (3) outside sources not directly connected to the consent decree/agreement of the selected subject police department
- Resources, including course materials, must be cited both in the narrative and on a separate Resources page, using APA citation rules.
- Each item listed on the Resources page must also be cited at least once in the narrative to show where in the narrative the item was applied.
- At the instructor’s discretion, this project may be submitted to Turnitin or other services for verification of originality.
Research: Starting with the link provided, continue your research on the basis for and actions attentive to the subject consent decree/agreement, Review all of the pertinent documents, articles, websites, etc. until you feel you have a thorough understanding sufficient to respond to the Assignment questions.
Formatting requirements: Your report should include: