Case Study #1: Technology & Product Review for Endpoint Protection Solutions
Red Clay Renovations (the “client”) has requested that your company research and recommend
an Endpoint Protection Platform which will provide host-based protection for the laptop PC’s used by its
construction managers and architects. These employees design and manage construction projects using
a Web based project management system. The laptops are also used to access web-based corporate
email servers and additional web-based applications used for internal business operations. Their laptops
are running the Windows 8/8.1 operating system and cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 due to
compatibility problems in a business critical, proprietary software package. The Windows 8/8.1 laptops
currently use Microsoft Windows Defender and Microsoft Windows Firewall to provide host-based
protection against malware, spyware, and intrusions.
The client’s IT manager wants an Endpoint Protection product that is easy to use, is deployable
on individual laptops as host-based protection, and automatically updates itself (patches and virus
definition files). The “automatic” updates could be a problem since the laptops are rarely connected to
the company’s networks. Instead, the employees use an intermittent cellular connection to access the
Internet while visiting customers and construction sites.
1. Review the Week 1 readings.
2. Choose one of the Endpoint Protection Platform products from the Gartner Magic Quadrant
analysis (link provided in the weekly readings). Then, research your chosen product using the
vendor’s website and product information brochures. (Vendors for highly rated products will
provide a copy of Gartner’s most recent Magic Quadrant report on their websites but,
registration is required.)
3. Find three or more additional sources which provide reviews for (a) your chosen product or (b)
information about Endpoint Protection Platforms.
Write a 3 page summary of your research (“briefing paper”). At a minimum, your summary must
include the following:
1. An introduction or overview for the security technology category (Endpoint Protection
2. A review of the features, capabilities, and deficiencies for your selected vendor and product
3. Discussion of how the selected product could be used by your client to support its
cybersecurity objectives by reducing