Analyze the policies, vulnerabilities, risks, and internal controls for a French bank (Societe Generale) that
was a victim of a large scale fraud and recommend improvements to the company’s IT security policies.
This assignment calls for a systematic analysis of an organization’s policies, vulnerabilities, risks, and
internal controls. Many scientific, engineering, information, and accounting disciplines advocate general
steps to problem-solving utilizing a systems approach.
At this point in your academic career, you should be proficient at applying such a general approach to
solving specific problems. Select and adopt such an approach with which you are most comfortable from
your prior professional and academic experiences to apply to this assignment.
Suggested steps to the general systems approach to problem-solving are as follows:
1. Define the problem
2. Identify evaluation criteria/measures of effectiveness
3. Identify alternatives/solutions
4. Evaluate/analyze alternatives utilizing analytical techniques consistent with step 2
5. Select and display preferred alternative(s)/solution(s) consistent with the analysis in step 4
6. Implement and monitor step 5 solution(s)
Refer to the French bank Societe Generale in the following URLs:
Additionally, review specific readings regarding security controls, audits, inspections, risk assessment,
and countermeasures. Utilizing an appropriate methodology for analysis (which may be adapted from the
above 6 steps), identify a set of 8-10 recommendations toward solving the fraud issue of French bank
There are three additional things to keep in mind:
Defining the problem or issue will require a data gathering stage.
1. Problem-solving is not a once-through sequence of steps always performed in a specified order. It
is full of iteration and feedback loops.
2. Finally, you will not be able to implement and monitor your recommendations in this assignment.
Perhaps that means provisions for implementation and monitoring should be part of your
Your paper should include the following:
problems in and improving the bank’s security posture;
implementation of the security policies, controls, and countermeasures.
Prepare your paper to the following format:
edition (or later) guidelines