Market Structure, Competition, and the Role of Small Business
(5 points maximum)
1. [Brynjolfsson & Kahin] How will the development of infomediaries and shopbots
effect competition on the Internet?
2. [Brynjolfsson & Kahin] Will the importance of brand decrease with the
development of third-party rating sites?
3. [Brynjolfsson & Kahin] Will established retailers be able to leverage existing
physical assets when competing with pure-play Internet sites?
4. [Brynjolfsson & Kahin] How will the structure of firms adapt to the new digital
5. [Brynjolfsson & Kahin] In the opening remarks of this chapter, the author suggests
that “technology changes, economic laws do not.” Yet, as the historical economic
expansion of the U.S. economy unfolded over the past 10 years, much ado was
made about our ‘new economy’ and how this new economic climate - underpinned
by technology - would cause a re-write of aging economic textbooks. Which
argument do you favor, namely (a) That technology changes and economic
principles do not, or (b) That technology causes new maxims of economic thought?
(Use your own thoughts and words, please.)
Answer each question as fully as you are able in no less than 2 complete paragraphs.