Topic of the Paper:
Technique(s) or scheme(s) or method(s) for detecting, preventing or mitigating DoS or Distributed DoS (DDoS) attacks.
The following must be considered when you write the paper:
1. Select 3-4 research papers (in addition to those provided/suggested for the class) which discuss detection, prevention, or mitigation techniques for DoS or DDoS attacks:
a. The research papers must be published by a peer reviewed journal or be published in conference proceedings (e.g., IEEE, ACM, IBM Systems Journal, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), etc.). Use the UMUC online library resource if necessary.
b. You must not choose papers or research works from magazines or periodicals that are not research-oriented (e.g., Wikipedia, SANS, etc.).
c. Briefly explain your rationale for selecting a specific research paper.
d. Allocate sufficient time to read the research papers. Reading a research paper requires more time than most people realize.
2. Summarize each research paper and identify a combined total of three different detection, mitigation, or prevention techniques described in EACH of the papers you selected. For example: you can have a) one detection + two prevention methods, OR b) one detection + two mitigation methods, OR c) one detection + one prevention + one mitigation
1. Describe how each technique works. Clearly describe (in detail using your own words), how each technique works. Assume that you are explaining the author’s technique to someone with a fairly strong fundamental knowledge in network and security (e.g., a first year computer science graduate student) and assume the student has no knowledge of the author’s research (never read the article before). Discuss each technique or method using the following questions:
a. Is the proposed technique a promising, practical approach which can be effectively implemented into an existing platform? Clearly explain your answer.
b. What are the strengths and weaknesses (limitations) of this technique?
2. Make sure there are No IPR (Intellectual Property Right) issues. This requires the following:
a. Re-draw all figures and tables.
b. Summarize all concepts using your own words.
c. Do not copy any part of text or unmodified figures (short quotes are acceptable.)
d. Cite references as needed using APA format.
3. To support your claims or statements, you may cite/reference non-peer reviewed papers and journals (including white papers, SANs documents, etc.; do not have to be academic papers or articles, however, no Wikipedia or blogs).
·The paper length: 6-10 double space pages (good, solid content which is factual, relevant, and concise), not including the cover page and reference page(s).
·Follow the APA format.