Introduction: The goals of this project:
• This project is to get you familiar with the types of behaviors that can be displayed by malware and with how to safely analyze these behaviors.
• You will run malware through a secure environment to see what actions the malware will perform. In the real world, you would be looking at an unknown file to see what actions it takes.
• You will get hands on experience using a standard tool used in the industry called Cuckoo. For more details about Cuckoo you can visit http://www.cuckoosandbox.org and read more about it.
• You will learn what a safe environment to run malware looks like. In this case, you will have an outer VM where you will be doing all of your work, and an inner VM that will be used by Cuckoo to do the analysis. The outer VM is Debian Linux, and the inner VM will be Windows 7.
• There will be NO report turned in for this assignment, you should submit your answers to the appropriate Canvas form.
• Make sure you have a main computer with sufficient horsepower to run the outer VM. Since
you will be running a VM inside of a VM at the same time, you will find that 4 GB of RAM is
insufficient to complete the project; you probably want 8 GB at minimum
• IMPORTANT WARNING PLEASE READ:This assignment contains actual executable malware
used to help you understand how malware behaves. Although we have taken steps to make the
assignment as safe as possible, you must be extra careful not to execute malware code outside
of the sandbox environment. Failure to do so might cause harm to you and others.
Get Free Quote!
308 Experts Online