To help supplement the class
with real-world experiences, students will:
Perform the following three (3)
real-world, out-of-class negotiations
Students will complete all
questions in the Preparation for Negotiation Section
Students will complete all questions
in the Description of Negotiation Section
Must use negotiation
terms/theories learned or researched in your communications.
- Retail Negotiation: Negotiate face-to-face for a price
reduction in the purchase of an item for sale
- Service Negotiation: Negotiate with a Service Provider for a
price reduction, at a reduced or no additional cost. Service Provider may
be for Internet Services, Credit Card Services, Car Insurance, etc.
- Workplace or School Negotiation: Negotiate a workplace
or school-related issue face-to-face with a coworker or faculty member.
- Interpersonal Negotiation: Negotiate the resolution of
a conflict with someone you know, i.e. family or friend
Preparation for Negotiation
- To prepare for your negotiations, answer the following
- If you are unable to reach an agreement in your negotiation,
what are your alternatives (what do you see as your best alternative(s) to
a negotiated agreement (BATNA))?
- What are your real interests in this negotiation (what you
need to achieve, and why):
- What are your “must haves” in this negotiation vs. what you’d
“like to have”
- What do you think is the other party’s wish, want and walk
- What can you say/do to help make this negotiation
collaborative (win-win) rather than competitive?
Description of the Negotiation
How/where/when/with whom did
your negotiation take place?
What was the outcome of the
negotiation; describe the negotiation process.
Specifically, in what ways were
you satisfied/dissatisfied with the outcome?
Explain the things you did well
in the negotiations.
Also, explain the things you
did in the negotiations that could use improvements?
What were your learnings from
Paper should include title and
reference page in APA format; 3 to 5-page-count compliant in Word Document
format. Minimum of three credible references.