This is a research assignment. Use your textbook, web articles, and NAU library to conduct research when writing this paper.
Use APA style references and in-text- citations. You need to use at least 3 different resources besides Castronova (2002), and Moore (2015).
Part 1. DISCOVERY LEARNING:
Download and read the following article:
Castronova, J. A. (2002). Discovery learning for the 21st century: What is it and how does it compare to traditional learning in effectiveness in the 21st century. Action Research Exchange, 1(1), 1-12. Retrived from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/
After reading this article and conducting additional research, answer to the following questions.
What is discovery learning?
How does this form of teaching compare to traditional, teacher-centered instruction?
What educational theories support the discovery learning model?
What is the most important thing you discovered about discovery learning?
How can you apply this method to your future classroom?
Part 2. ADDITIONAL CHAPTERS
Select one of the following chapters to conduct research: Chapter 2, 3, 5 or 12. Review the chapter and respond to related questions for that chapter by conducting your own research.
Chapter 2- Teaching Diverse Students
1. Teaching all students. Remember that a teacher’s job is to teach all students and assume an attitude that all students can learn. Research techniques and strategies that can be used to accomplish this task. Sources of information include the library, the Internet, current journals, and recent books.
2. Intelligence profile. Evaluate your own intelligence profile according to Gardner. In what frames of mind (intelligence areas) do you come out strongest?
Chapter 3- Managing Classroom Environment
1. Discipline approaches. Analyze the three approaches to classroom management. Which approach, if any, do you prefer? Can you put together parts of the different approaches and come up with an eclectic approach that you think would work for you? Can you identify some basic concepts that appear to be true of all three approaches?
2. Causes of misbehavior. Think back over the classes you have attended in which there have been disciplinary incidents. List the possible causes for any such misbehavior. How might knowledge of the causes of these incidents influence a teacher’s actions? Some behavior problems are teacher created and some are student centered. Can you think of examples?
Chapter 5- Using Classroom Technology
1. How does technology enhance the teacher’s ability to plan instruction? Use one of the available search engines to explore the web for technological tools such as lesson planning software, worksheets and puzzle tools, poster and bulletin board production tools, and time management tools that will assist you in planning. Share your findings with your class.
2. Technology offers tools that can help students learn. To what technology should students have access? Do you have any educational concerns about the use of these technologies in schools? If so, what are they? If not, why not?
Chapter 12- Teaching Effective Thinking Strategies
1. Teaching methods. What teaching methods and procedures can be used to improve students’ critical thinking abilities? Creative thinking abilities?
2. Thinking. What type of thinking is emphasized in most schools? Is critical thinking rewarded? Creative thinking? Is school success based on students’ ability to think critically? Creatively?
3. The environment. What type of classroom environment would be conducive to developing critical thinking? Creative thinking? What problems can you foresee in establishing this environment?
Part 3. REFERENCES: