This week you will be completing the first two components of the Communication Strategic Plan: Assessment and Diagnosis.
The requirements for the outline are as follows:
- Setting the Stage
- Define the problem, challenge or opportunity for improvement:
- Identify a problem, challenge, or opportunity related to patient safety that you feel could be improved with enhanced communication and or teamwork. (This was completed in Module 1.)
- Identify any HCAHPS data for your health care facility or patient outcome data collected by the health care organization that can be linked to the identified problem.
- Describe the applicable work setting, including the following:
- Organizational /unit description (check the organization’s website for a description of the organization with regard to size, services offered, population served, for-profit or nonprofit. Describe the unit: type of unit, services provided, number of beds etc.)
- Resources available: for example (but not limited to), human resources (staff), educational resources, equipment, supplies, technology, and leadership.
- Describe the process by which the target problem, challenge, or opportunity occurs by stating what the process is, who is involved, and when and where it occurs.
- Identify potential root causes of the problem:
- Break the problem apart: Perform a root cause analysis using the Root Cause Analysis Chart in Module 1.
- Create a simple flowchart, or map the process during which the problem, challenge, or opportunity occurs: Write the process steps as they currently occur, identifying who is doing what, when, and with what tools.
- Study the process to identify a minimum of 2 risk points where things could go wrong and lead to a recurrence of the target problem.
- Define the aim (what are you hoping to accomplish) of your TeamSTEPPS communication and/or teamwork strategy.
- Describe how this strategy will improve the identified problem.
- Define measurable goal(s).
Here is an example of a measurable goal for a surgery unit experiencing an increase in postoperative infections that implemented CUS strategy to address surgical team handwashing: The surgical unit at XYZ Hospital will experience a 5% reduction in postoperative infection rates from January 1, 2019, to April 1, 2019