The purpose of this assignment is to introduce you to mergers and acquisitions in the business world. This will give you the opportunity to study external environmental factors affecting management’s decisions and practices. This assignment is designed to increase your learning about specialized areas of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and management buy-outs.
YOU WILL CHOOSE A PAST MERGER OR ACQUISITION TO REPORT ON
1. Provide an overview of the major players involved in the merger. What are the companies’ mission, vision and values? What services or products do they offer? What is their value proposition?
2. Provide a brief history of the two companies; how well have they performed financially, revenue, stock price recent history, etc.
3. Explain based on your research the need(s) for why this merger, acquisition, alliance, joint venture is happening or happened.
4. Explain how the deal is / was structured; i.e. was it an all-cash deal or a combination of stock transfer, new shares? Was it debt financed? Was it a management buyout?, etc.
5. Were there any defensive strategies used on the part of the seller? Provide details.
6. Were there any management incentives built into this deal? Describe.
7. Based on your research is this deal a “vertical”, “horizontal”, or “conglomerate” style of merger or acquisition, or would you classify it as a strategic alliance in your opinion? Through your research what do you conclude is / was the overall strategy(s) behind this merger? Was it for possible tax reasons, revenue enhancement, increased market share, new strategic direction, avoidance of another hostile takeover or a combination of any or all?
8. Was this a good, bad or ugly deal in retrospect. Explain your position on the successes or failures in this deal if any.
9. Provide your answers, by number, in a Word document. Cite your references.