You will identify and interview a senior member of the management team of an SME or small family business.
The purpose is for you to gain an insight into the current and future challenges that this business is facing and is likely to face.
Specifically to discuss with them;
· Whether they feel the business is successful and the criteria they use both quantitively and qualitatively to make this judgement.
· The skills and knowledge they feel they have which contributes to the businesses success.
· The type of business it is and the stage they think it has reached in terms of development .
· The key issues that the business has to face in order to survive and be sustainable.
Stages in the Assignment
1. Produce, discuss and agree your interview plan (500 words max) This plan to include
· Who you are going to interview and why
· Why has the person agreed to be interviewed, what do you need to agree with them beforehand and how will you feed your conclusions back to them
· What is your interview plan including introduction, questions and summarising what you have learnt
· What potential difficulties do you anticipate and what can you do to minmize these
· The initial plan on the preparation for the interview
· Discussion on the analysis of where the business is in terms of development with reference to relevant theories and models
· Discussion and analysis of the relevant measures used to judge success and both in the short and long between short term and the skills and knowledge of the interviewee The degree to which linked to relevant concepts and models
· Dept of conclusions and the degree to which they are supported by the data collected the relevant literature
· The analysis of what was learnt from the exercise and the identification of how the interview could have been improved