First of all watch the introductory video. Then Read the document the attachment is in pdf
spam-docset, and the listen or see videos from this link below from each document and
then you have to answer all the question that has each document
The Historical Thinking Matters website has broken some links for the audio files from
historian Mike O'Malley and others, so I've emailed the people who run it and asked them
for copies of those files.
Document A: New York Journal
1. How long after the explosion of the Maine was this article written?
2. What does the headline of the article suggest about the newspaper’s point of view?
3. Upon what type of evidence does the New York Journal base its claims?
Document B: New York Times
1. How does the date of this article compare with the date on the New York Journal and
2. According to these headlines, what happened to the Maine?
3. What kinds of evidence does the New York Times include to support its account of the
Document C ("Awake United States"):
Historian Mike O’Malley talks about sheet music in the 19 th century
1. When and where was this song printed?
2. According to this song, what happened to the Maine?
3. What emotions are the song’s lyrics supposed to evoke? Include an example from the
Document D (McKinley's State of the Union Address): no supplemental media files.
1. What is McKinley’s intention in speaking to Congress? What does this suggest about the tone
and message that President McKinley might adopt in the speech?
2. McKinley lists four reasons that justify U.S. intervention in Cuba. What are these reasons?
Why might McKinley have arranged them in this particular order?
3. Based on McKinley’s speech, describe the state of affairs in Cuba. Find three phrases from the
text that support your answer