The answer to each question should be approximately 6 to 10 sentences in length. You
should write your responses in complete sentences free of spelling and grammatical errors.
Please type your answers in a Word document and then paste your answers below each
question in the space provided.
1. 1. List the television show that you watched. Use the communication task roles Chapter 9
and 10 discuss to describe two specific characters and the communication task role(s) they
played. How did these roles affect group communication? Give specific examples.
2. 2. Describe each maintenance role in your own words, and explain which were present in
the television show you watched. Which maintenance roles have you commonly seen
happen in your everyday life?
3. 3. Briefly describe a " self-centered role." How do you think self-centered roles detract the
group from its goals? Give specific examples.
4. 4. Using the functional approach to leadership, analyze the leader of the group from the
television show you watched. Did this leader perform mostly task functions or process
functions? How did the person’s leadership affect the communication of the group? Give
specific examples and incorporate concepts from the textbook.
5. 5. Of the variables that affect climate (found on page 267), which was the most prevalent in
the group communication that you observed?
1. Define and describe how communication can enhance self-esteem. Why is self-awareness
such a critical skill for improving self-esteem?
2. Within the various models of communication described in your text, there are a few
standard components (source, receiver, channel, context, and noise). Think about
the experiences you have had with noise (or interference) in the communication process. Write a
unique example of noise for each of the other components in the communication model
(sender, receiver, channel, and context). These four examples can be from different real-life
communication situations, but they need to be different from the examples in the textbook.
Select one of the four examples you provided and indicate how you could reduce or
eliminate the noise.
3. Metacommunication management is a three-step process. This includes anticipatory,
adaptive, and reflective metacommunication. Which part of the metacommunication
(anticipatory, adaptive, or reflective) process do you think you implement best? Which one
do you feel you could improve? Give specific examples.
4. Describe the four characteristics of communication. Of these, which do you believe has
the most effect on your anticipatory metacommunication? Why? Give specific examples.
5. DECIDE is the acronym used to remember the six basic steps that you must consider
when you make communication decisions. Step 1 of DECIDE is to define the communication
goal. Why would it be important, especially in an interpersonal communication situation, to
define the communication goal? Use at least three specific key terms from this lesson in your