What is R used for? Applications of R in 9 areas
Data science and big data have proven useful and essential in many various industries and fields today. It aids them in keeping up with the trends and seize every opportunity.
R acts as a tool, which is use to understand and use big data. R has also proved its usefulness in research by preparing huge amounts of data in a smaller time.
Let’s look at an interesting fact. “According to O’Reilly, R is the most widely use data science language after SQL.”
In this blog, we will examine the many applications of R in the real world.
Applications of r programming
Let’s begin from the opening and examine the uses of R for research purposes:
R in research and academics
R is a statistical research tool. Statisticians and students use it to perform various statistical calculations and analyses. Statistical techniques such as linear and non-linear modeling, time-series analysis, classical statistical testing, clustering, classification, and others are implemented by R and its libraries.
It is used for deep learning and machine learning research. R is one of the best commonly used languages for machine learning, with libraries facilitating supervised and unsupervised learning.
Other research involving large data sets such as detecting genetic anomalies and patterns, different drug compositions all uses R to sift through a large collection of relevant data and draw meaningful conclusions from it.
Ruses cases in academics and research
- Cornell University: Cornell recommends its researchers and students use R for all their research involving statistical computing.
- UCLA: California university, Los Angeles uses R to teach data analysis and statistics to its students.
Apart from research, R has applications in IT companies.
R in the IT sector
IT companies use R for their business intelligence and provide such services to other small, medium, and large-scale businesses. They also use it for their machine learning products.
They use R to build data handling products and statistical computing tools and create other data manipulation services.
Some big IT companies that use R:
- Tata consultancy services
Ruses cases in IT Sectors
- Mozilla: it uses R to visualize web activity for its browser firefox.
- Microsoft: with the azure machine learning platform, microsoft employs R as a statistical engine. Xbox matchmaking system uses microsoft.
- Foursquare: R contributes to foursquare’s recommendation system from behind the scenes.
- Google: Google uses r to improve search results, provide better search suggestions, assess the ROI of advertising campaigns, increase the efficiency of online advertising, and forecast economic activity.
R in finance
Other than the finance sector, which industry would deal more with statistics because R is a statistical programming language.
The banking industry makes extensive use of R and data science. For all financial operations and computations, R includes a comprehensive statistical suite. R and its libraries make it simple to perform moving averages, auto-regression, time-series analysis, stock-market modeling, financial data mining, and downside risk assessment.
R is also used to aid in the decision-making process in the corporate world. R’s data visualization capabilities can display the results of data analysis in a variety of graphical representations, including high-quality candlestick charts, density plots, and drawdown plots.
This makes it easier for business people to understand the technical aspects of data analysis and the findings. American Express, JP Morgan, bajaj allianz insurance, and standard chartered are among the companies that employ R.
Ruses cases in finance
- Lloyds of London: Lloyds of London uses R for risk analysis
- Bajaj Allianz insurance: Bajaj Allianz use R to create propensity models and recommendation engines. They also employ technology to mine data and provide actionable insights to improve customer service.
The digital revolution has dramatically changed the globe. The fact that marketplaces have shifted to the internet is one of the most noticeable developments. R is widely used in the e-commerce business for a variety of applications.
R in e-commerce
Analytics is helpful in the banking and retail industries for risk assessment and developing marketing strategies in terms of data science, e-commerce experience, and marketing and financing. They employ R to boost cross-product sales. When a customer buys a thing, the site suggests other items that will go well with their original purchase. These suggestions are also applicable to previous purchases made by the customer. Companies that operate on the internet, such as e-commerce sites, collect and process structured and unstructured data from various sources. R shows to be handy in this situation.
R is also used in marketing planning, targeted advertising, sales modeling, and financial data processing, among other things.
Ruse case in e-commerce
- Amazon: to boost cross-product recommendations, amazon uses R and data analysis.
- Flipkart: Flipkart used R to perform predictive analysis, which aids in the creation of targeted marketing.
Today, the most prevalent source of big data is social media. As a result, the social media business is home to the most advanced and cutting-edge data science applications.
R in social media
Social media businesses user like Facebook for sentiment analysis and behavior analysis. They can change and improve their recommendations based on the user’s history and the mood and tone of their recent postings and viewed content. The advertising shown to the user is also changed based on the sentiment and history of the user. To improve user experience, R is also used to analyze traffic, user sessions, and content.
Ruse cases in social media
- Facebook: Facebook utilizes R To predict coworker interactions and update its social network graph.
- Twitter: Twitter uses r to perform semantic clustering. They also utilize it to visualize data.
The banking industry is another one that makes extensive use of R’s statistical calculation capabilities.
R in banking
Banks use R for credit risk modeling and other risk analytics. R is frequently used in banks, along with other proprietary tools such as SAS. It’s also used for fraud detection, mortgage haircut modeling, statistical modeling, volatility modeling, loan stress test simulation, and client assessment, among other things.
Customer segmentation, customer quality, and customer retention are all calculated using R.
Ruse cases in banking
- ANZ: R is used by ANZ bank for credit risk modeling as well as mortgage loss models.
- Bank of America: r is used by bank of America for financial reporting and calculating financial losses.
When it comes to cutting-edge innovations, the healthcare business is not one to be left behind.
R is healthcare
You can crunch data and process information with R, which serves as a foundation for additional analysis and data processing. R is widely used in the healthcare industry in domains like genetics, drug discovery, bioinformatics, epidemiology, etc. It is used to assess and predict the spread of various diseases and assess genetic sequences, drug-safety data, and numerous combinations and permutations of medications and chemicals. The Bioconductor package in R allows you to analyze genomic data. Finally, r is a godsend for all preclinical drug and medical method trials.
Ruses cases in healthcare
- Merck: for clinical studies and medication testing, Merck & co. Employ the R programming language.
Manufacturing organizations also use r to make big data and stay ahead of the competition.
R in manufacturing
Several industrial companies use R to supplement their marketing and commercial strategies. Customer feedback is analyzed to assist and improve their goods. They also utilize the information to help them plan their marketing campaigns. Another application of R and data analytics is predicting demand and market trends to adjust manufacturing methods.
Ruse case in manufacturing
- Ford motor company: Ford employs R to support its business strategy and monitor client sentiment about its products, which aids in developing future designs.
- John deere: R is used by john deere to estimate demand for its goods and spare parts. They also utilize it to anticipate crop yields and apply that information in their business plan and satisfy market demand and weather downturns.
Every government must deal with a vast amount of information. A country’s worth of data! Many government agencies also use R throughout the world.
R in governmental use
Many government departments use r for record-keeping and census processing.
This aids them in enacting successful legislation and government. They also use it for critical services like drug regulation, weather forecasting, and disaster effect analysis, among other things.
Ruse case in government activities
- Food and drug administration: the FDA uses r to evaluate drugs and conduct preclinical trials. It also employs R to forecast potential reactions and medical problems by particular foods.
- National weather service: R is used by the national weather service to forecast weather and anticipate disasters. They also utilize it to display and analyze the areas affected by their forecasts and projection.
We learned about the numerous sectors and companies that use R in this essay about the applications of R. we also looked into the varied uses of R in different businesses. Then we looked at example companies that use R to meet their diverse requirements.
R was used for academic purposes and research, but times have changed, and R is now used in every area from IT to banking to healthcare. And if you need r programming help from our experts then contact us.