Do you want to communicate better? Want to know about the transactional model of communication? If yes, then welcome! Here we give you the complete information regarding the transactional communication model.
Communication is a difficult process. It is tough to know where or with whom a communication meeting begins and ends. Communication models help in explaining the process by providing a representation of the many aspects.
Types of communication model-
|1.Linear model of communication|| It is a one-way communication channel, or we can say it is a non-interactive communication. For example, sending a memo, giving a speech, or a television broadcast.|
|2.Transactional model of communication||It is two-way communication or interaction. In this conversation, two parties include, i.e., sender and receiver. It happens only when both parties are present. It means it conducts in real-time. For example, conversation on skype, through telephonic call, etc.|
In this blog, you will come to know about the transactional communication model.
The transactional model of communication
The transactional model can be measured as a simplistic one where people believe the receiver and sender are independent parties. The roles of receiver and sender in the transaction model differ knowingly from the other models. It is an important addition to the communication model. The reason behind this is that it allows people to do effective communication by relaxing their capability to adapt communication.
For example, verbal communication through telephonic calls. It is one of the crucial models for business studies students.
Transactional Model Concept
This model of communication is the procedure of continuous transformation and change. Because of this, it accepts the contributors to be self-governing and also acts in any manner they need. Since both receiver and sender are essential to keep the interaction active in the transactional model. For example, the transactional model is not possible if the receiver is not giving feedback to the sender.
This is the most usual method of communication. Ordinary interactions and talk are also effective forms of interaction or communication. It is more effective and well-organized for contributors with related individual and environmental aspects. For example, Obviously, the people who recognize each other will have more effective communication than between unknown people.
In this model, the reliability and efficiency of interconnected messages also are uncertain on the method used. For example, the same communication in a personal way might not be supposed through an individual in the same manner once it is directly through a telephone.
Basic characteristics of the transactional model of communication-
There are the three basic characteristics-
- Communication develops from the very first till the existing time.
- The dependency of this communication is mainly on its past.
- Time concept is also the main point of it.
Factors Affecting the Transactional Model
- Many factors can affect the interaction or communication procedure in the transactional model. Besides these factors can affect the model communication procedure directly and indirectly. In most of the cases, These background communication and other unwanted noise become the issues. Background noises can be of any type like physical, physiological or psychosomatic noise.
- The transactional model of communication relates communication to the social authenticity of a group of individuals or an individual in social, relational and cultural backgrounds. We can’t predict their responses because they may have diverse backgrounds and cerebral circumstances. Communication patterns are contingent on several factors, for example, physical, environmental, social, cultural, emotional, psychological, etc.
- The fundamental of the interaction or communication in the specific model get overpowered because of the circumstances of the cultural and social system are over-powering the fundamentals of. At the same time, the psychological and physical background has substantial effects on the communication, undermining or enhancing it. So, these are some factors distressing transactional model.
Example of the transactional model of communication
Examples of this communication are a face-to-face meeting, a chat session, a telephone call, interactive training, a skype call, and a meeting where all the members are participating and sharing their ideas.
Example of a face to face meeting
John- Oh hello, how are you?
David- I am absolutely fine. What are you up to today?
John- Nothing much new, just going to work. What about you?
Criticism of the transactional model of communication
- Without a verbal reply, the sender can’t be certain that the receiver got the message in the same manner as he sends it. The response is an essential part of the interaction or communication procedure, mainly in relational communication, because it provides a space to explain misunderstandings.
- The transactional model also provides the possibility for noise since the interaction or communication is a face-to-face conversation. For example, if some of the employees are talking to each other in the meeting and in this way, they are restricting in fulfilling the proper meeting’s goal.
There are three implications
- Transactional” signifies that communication is not a one time process. It is a continuously changing and enduring process. Individuals are not the same, and they change as per the requirements and collaboration. The environment also changes as per the circumstances.
- In any transactional procedure, each component exists concerning all other components. There is this interdependence between them. There are no uses for the message until the receiver does not understand.
- Each individual in this communication procedure reacts unexpectedly to several factors, for example, message meaning, previous experiences, cultural beliefs, attitudes, and confidence. So, these are some inferences in this model.
How is a transactional model of communication different from a linear model of communication?
|Transactional model||Linear model|
|Use for interpersonal communication||Use for mass communications|
|Include the concept of noise||Concept of noise is not included in it|
|Include the concept of noise||Feedback is not included|
|Includes non-verbal communication||Doesn’t include non-verbal communication|
Now you have seen that in the transactional model, the communication is an enduring circular procedure. The transactional model of communication has several codependent components and processes, comprising the decoding and encoding processes, the correspondent, message, noise and channel. It also relates to communication with communal reality; national upbringing even relational background (relationships). Non-verbal response like gesticulations, body language, is also measured as the response in this model.
What are the three standard models of communication?
The three standard models of communication are the Linear, Interactive and Transactional models.
What are the basic characteristics of a Transactional Model?
In the Transactional communication model, the sender encodes the information using speech or writing and sends it to the receiver. Then the receiver decodes the message by reading or listening and responds by following the same process.
What is the difference between transactional and transmission models of communication?
The transmission model allows only one-way communication, whereas the Transactional model includes two-way communication between sender and receiver.
What are the similarities of transactional model and transmission model?
Sender, message, receiver, channel, noise, feedback, and decoding are the similarities between transactional and transmission model of communication.
What are the examples of a transactional model of communication?
A telephone call, personal meeting, video call, and chatting are examples of the transactional model of communication.
What is another name of the transactional model of communication?
Another name of the transactional model is the circular model of communication.