ROBOTICS COURSEWORK, 2019
An industrial robot is a robot system used for manufacturing. Industrial robots are automated, programmable and capable of movement on two or more axes. People and animals can effectively manipulate objects of many shapes, sizes, weights, and materials using a variety of primitives such as grasping, pushing, sliding, tipping, rolling, and throwing. In contrast, industrial robots manipulate objects by pick-and-place, but it is still challenging to identify and approach objects in an uncertain environment, and also to determine a proper manipulation method towards different types of objects. To complete these kinds of tasks, some basic but not very specific steps need to follow: firstly, pinpoint the location of an object and obtain its world coordination in a world coordinate system; secondly, drive the whole robot towards the targeted object and adjust its posture for object pick-up; thirdly, drive the joints of robotic arm to pick up the objects for manipulation or put it to a targeted location as required.
The goal of the coursework is to apply your knowledge and practical skills to solve real-world problems in a virtual environment (i.e. V-rep). This coursework is to design and improve the performance of object manipulation via a mobile robot, e.g. Kuka Youbot, which localises a targeted object and drives the robots toward it for specific manipulating. The tasks include implementation of the basic functionalities based on the lab tutorials (week 5-8) and attempts of advanced ones for your potential contribution.
This part is based on the last part of V-rep tutorials, and exact tasks include:
· Object localisation from a given position
· Adjust the robot towards the target objects based on the orientation difference between the object and robot
· Drive the robot towards the objects and keep a proper distance for object manipulation.
· Drive the robot’s joints to pick up the object
This is an advanced part, requiring the localisation of the object via sensing technologies, such as cameras. It enables you to deeply understand the environmental sensing technology and inspire you to adopt intelligent algorithms to optimise your manipulation with different settings.
· Processing sensory information
· Making decisions on the sensory information
· Adjust robot’s gesture according to the real-time input from the environment
The coursework should be finished individually. Pyou have any concern about the task. And of course, feel free to discuss your ideas with them during office hours. Here are suggestions for getting started on projects:
· Familiar with basic kinematic structure of the Kuka Omnirob in V-rep, including the controllable joints and wheels. It can be done through a default GUI of Ominrob in V-rep. Most of the related knowledge would be covered introduced during the remaining tutorials. Use these tutorials to get familiar with robotic manipulation skills.
· Familiar with the programing skill for the V-rep using the Lau scripts. It allows you to get the current position of the robot and then determine the distance between two objects. This measurement will be covered in the tutorial.
· Feel free to test the available sensors in V-rep, and master the data acquisition skills from sensors. Try to understand the how to programme to transfer the sensory data to a specific control command of the robots. You may also want to compare how the parameter setting influences the sensory data.