· This is a research paper; therefore, all primary and secondary sources must be cited. In other words, your paper must include a bibliography and footnotes.
· Plagiarism will result in a failing grade.
1. Both Confucianism and Taoism embrace the principle of the Tao, yet are diametrically opposed on points of government, education, virtue, propriety and others. For example, a central teaching of Taoism is that while existence makes things useful, emptiness makes them work. While emptiness, passivity in the practice of wu wei are key to Taoist thought, Confucianism values virtues and the rectification of names. In light of the principle of yin-yang (as represented in the Taijitu symbol) do the opposing forces of Taoism and Confucianism work in harmony to create a creative well balanced society. Would such a society work well in our modern world? Expalin.
2. According to Confucius ren (jen) is the highest virtue that one can attain. The path to the attainment of ren is found through the practice of li. This relationship of ren and li to jun zi (chun-tsu) or the “gentleman” is key to Confucius' thought. In contrast, according to the Tao Te Ching, the superior person aligns him or herself with the Tao in living in accord with wu wei. In Chapter 8, water is used to illustrate this point. Compare and contrast the Confucian notion of the “gentleman” with the Taoist sage or “superior person”. You will want to show how the two are similar how they are different. Then you will want to provide an argument as to whether one, neither or both is a better manner of living for our modern world .
3. The Taoist origin of the universe seems to bear no relationship to the Shinto account of creation. The former seems more philosophical, while the latter sounds like myth. However, a closer examination reveals significant similarities such as that the Tao and chaos lie outside our conceptual understanding and that the first act of creation in both was to divide the world into opposite creating forces (yin--yang and Izanami and Izanagi). Compare and contrast these two creation accounts in terms of their cultural importance and universal significance.
Choose any one question. Cite every source, Add additional Citation Page, Add footnotes and also add bibliography. 4-5 pages, double space, APA Style.