Essay #2: Comparison-Contrast
Summary of assignment
Task: Using an alternating pattern, compare and contrast (French Education System vs.
American Education System)
Length: 500 words
Sources: Minimum of 2
• Write a comparison-contrast essay to inform or persuade an audience on a main idea expressed
in a thesis statement
• Develop focused body paragraphs in support of the thesis statement, following the alternating
pattern of organization
• Select sources, use them to support your ideas, and document them in APA style
• Demonstrate accurate grammar and mechanics in writing
• Participate in the process of receiving feedback and revising your writing
Organizing and supporting your essay
Organize your essay into several paragraphs, including the following:
• an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement
• body paragraphs that support the thesis statement
o The body paragraphs must follow the alternating pattern of organization
o The body paragraphs must be supported by referring to the two (or more) sources on your
reference list. Quote and/or paraphrase your sources, and include citations.
• a concluding paragraph
Support your ideas with at least two sources. Include in-text citations whenever you use your
sources, whether through quote, paraphrase, or summary. A reference list at the end of the paper
should list all of the sources cited in the text of the paper.
Point of view
We are now moving into writing in a more formal academic style. Use third-person point of
view. Do not use “I” or “you.”
Formatting your essay
Use APA style to format your essay, including the following guidelines:
• Use one-inch margins.
• Double space.
• Use size 12 Times New Roman font.
• Include a running head.