Date of submission: 15 October 2019
Title: Planning an outdoor adventure and educational camp.
Proper trip planning is vital for any adventure programming experience (Kanangieter, Sawyer, Gookin, & Johnson, 2004). When trip planning is routine, checklists can serve as an invaluable tool. A trip checklist covers the trip rationale, activities, locations, routing and scheduling, participants, groups, staffing, equipment, food and water, accommodation, transportation, communication, budgeting, safety and risk management.
You are an Outdoor leader working for an Outdoor and adventure company that renders numerous types of outdoor activities in South Africa. A client approached your company and they want the company to plan a camping trip for 30 learners aged 12-15.
1. Objectives of the camp
· To educate learners about different types of trees.
· To educate learners about orientation N, W, S and E (how to find N).- Navigation
· To educate learners about not to Leave any Trace, hiking and travelling with minimal impact.
· To help them learn about camping and campsite behaviour that includes: Waste disposal, Fire building, Washing and cooking, and Nonintrusive behaviour.
· To help the learners to identify possible career opportunities in Outdoor and Adventure Programming.
Based on the objectives of the client, assist them to plan a five (5) days camping trip for 30 learners and 2 educators that will be accompanying learners to the camp.
The plan should include the following:
· A brief Introduction
· Make a detailed list of suitable outdoor activities you will include based on their objectives. (Include pictures).
· Select a camping side suitable for activities. Give a brief description of a camp site. (Location)
· A detailed plan for staff (Who will be doing what and when)
· A detailed plan for food and water. (Camp menu)
· Plan for accommodation: What kind of accommodation and for how many people.
· Back at home: Write a summary of (evaluation report) of what took place at the camp. (Conclusion)
· The evaluation report should cover the following, what worked and what did not work. (in one(1) page max):
o Was the camp objective met, explain why.
o Was the accommodation suitable for activities, explain why.
o Did the activities meet the objectives, explain why.