WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION – Evolution of a Supply Chain
Whirlpool Corporation is the world's leading manufacturer and marketer of major home
appliances, with annual sales over $19 billion, more than 80,000 employees and more than 60
manufacturing and technology research centres globally. Consumers around the world enjoy
Whirlpool's innovative products marketed under Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana,
Brastemp, Bauknecht and other major brand names. With this varied inventory, plus a large direct
sales force in more than 170 countries and an unpredictable sales cycle, effective supply chain
management is critical for continued growth. Whirlpool has not always considered logistics a
competitive advantage. However, since naming Penske its lead logistics supplier, Whirlpool
experienced cost savings, increased customer satisfaction and found a partner to help integrate
the recent acquisition of Maytag.
• To effectively leverage its supply chain to maximise cost savings, while also positively influencing the overall Whirlpool customer experience.
• To swiftly and efficiently integrate Maytag operations.
• Through the Penske/Whirlpool LLP relationship, Penske assumed responsibility for execution and management of 3PLs and provided an enhanced ability to view each supplier's key performance indicators integrated with financials.
• Penske built a new routing tool specifically for Whirlpool that offered overall cost optimisation and mode selection.
• Penske helped to integrate Maytag operations through consolidating LDC networks,
optimising routing of RDC shipments, determining optimal fleet size and operating
network, combining collocated Maytag and Whirlpool RDS locations and integrating the
Hi/Lo network to improve product availability and fill rates.