Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is for students to
1) identify and learn about a subtopic in American Popular Culture that is of interest to them;
2) become familiar with the online library resources; and
3) to develop some information literacy skills.
Students will develop an Annotated Bibliography based on a topic in American Popular Culture that is of interest to them. A minimum of 5 peer-reviewed sources and 5 popular and/or open-web sources will need to be used in the bibliography. **An annotated bibliography is a list of citations to books, articles, and documents. Each citation is followed by a brief descriptive and evaluative paragraph, the annotation. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance and quality of the sources cited.**
The completed assignment will include:
1) List the topic in American Popular Culture that you chose to investigate for this assignment. (e.g. symbolic interactionism, doing gender, socialization over life course, mental illness, prejudice, etc.)
2) List of search terms you used in your searches (e.g. sport, sociology, "popular culture")
3) Annotated entries for a minimum of 5 peer-reviewed articles and 5 popular and/or open-web sources (see below for what should be included in each entry)
Each source entry should include the following:
1) APA-formatted full reference for the source
4) Brief discussion of how the source is relevant to your topic of interest
2) Brief description of the source
3) Evaluation of where the source came from - i.e. peer-reviewed journal, blog, website, etc.
5) Brief discussion of the source’s strengths and weaknesses
Assignment 3 meets the following course objectives: