The Course Project will consist of three tasks, due in Weeks 2, 4, and 6. Successful completion of the labs will help you in completing the project tasks.
Week 6: Task 3: Database Construction Using MySQL and Research Paper (120 points)
Note: MySQL is required for this project. Please ensure you can run MySQL via Omnymbus.
Scenario and Summary
In this assignment, you will create and populate a MySQL database based on the ERD you created in task2. Update the ERD you submitted for task2 with the corrections required by your instructor. To help you with this task, your instructor will provide you with the data dictionary of the database. This will provide you information on every table you must create for the ABC Company database. Every entity is listed in the data dictionary along with the PK/FK information, as well as the data types for the attributes. These data types are MySQL data types, so they can go directly in the create table statements. Using the corrected ERD and the data dictionary provided, write the necessary MySQL statements to create the ABC company database. To complete this assignment, you will need to be able to run MySQL via Omnymbus.
1. Corrected ERD based on the instructor feedback and data dictionary. The data dictionary titled “COURSE PROJECT Week6Task3DataDictonary.xlsx” is found in the folder titled Course Project Documents. Save your file as Lastname_Task3_revisedERD.vsd.
2. Script file saved as Lastname_task3.sql, which includes all the DROP, CREATE, ALTER, and INSERT statements needed to create the ABC Company database
3. Word document showing the run result of the script file saved as Lastname_task3Result.docx
4. Word document consisting of a research paper as described Step 4 below. This document should be 2–3 pages (double spaced).
5. When done, upload zipped file containing three files
Revise the ERD you submitted for the previous task with the feedback provided by your instructor and the help of the given data dictionary document.
Add data to your database.
Writing a research paper on the role of databases in real-life business systems.
· Paper topic description: Databases have many applications in businesses. Discuss the role of databases in one of the following applications.
o Business intelligence
o Enterprise-wide applications (e.g., ERP, CRM, SCM, etc.)
o Search engines (e.g., Google’s Bigtable)
o A specific industry (e.g., banking)
o Another topic (approved by the instructor)
· The paper should be 2–3 pages, double spaced.
· You must use at least three authoritative resources other than your textbook. These must be displayed in a bibliography and must be clearly cited in the body of the paper.
Points for will be awarded according to the following rubrics.
Tutorials to Consult With
M10C_KROE8352_13_SE_WC10C.pdf in the folder titled My SQL Documents in Files section for all things to do with MySQL, including example SQL
Login MySQL Omnymbus Environment.docx in the folder titled Omnymbus Tutorial Files in Files section for how to log in to the Omnymbus Environment
Creating a Database in MySQL Omnymbus Environment.docx in the folder titled Omnymbus Tutorial Files in Files section for how to create a database in the Omnymbus environment. Remember, all work must be done under a database your first create.
Running SQL Scripts in MySQL
Omnymbus Environment.docx in the folder titled Omnymbus Tutorial Files in Files
section for how to create and run your SQL Scripts
DBP-e13-Appendix-F.pdf in the folder titled Visio Instructions Documents in Files section for how to use Visio 2013
kroenke_dbp12e_appendix_f.pdf in the folder titled Visio Instructions Documents in Files section for how to use Visio 2010
COURSE PROJECT Week6Task3DataDictonary.xlsx in the folder titled Course Project Documents in Files section