White Privilege and Co/or Worksheet
Answer these questions, and include your answers when you submit your assignment. What is a White privilege?
- If you are White, what are examples you can think of where you have experienced and/or currently experience White privilege?
- If you are a person of color, what are some examples of being denied privilege due to your color?
- What other kinds of privileges exist in American society, such as male, wealth, beautify, stature, education, last name? How do they provide privilege?
- Can you think of privileges that change, depending on the social context, such as a deaf student using sign language in a deaf community, or an African American member of NAACP? Provide some examples.
What is colorism? How did this idea develop, and what are its roots?
- What are some examples of colorism within today's overall American society?
- To what extent does colorism exist within each minority community in the U.S.? Give some examples.
Write a 350- to 700-word essay comparing and contrasting White privilege and colorist, using answers to the above questions