Choose one of the following topics and write an essay of 400 words (minimum). If you do an essay in division, be sure to make the division complete and to keep the parts distinct. If you do an essay in classification, be sure to have a clear principle of classification and to apply it consistently. In either case, be inventive and imaginative and fill your essay with lively and or personal detail. Feel free to adopt a humorous approach, if appropriate. Choose one of the following:
1. Write a humorous classification of inanimate objects, for example, Christmas gifts OR wedding presents OR kitchen gadgets.
2. Divide your personality or someone else’s personality into its components.
3. Classify kinds of roommates OR drivers OR salespeople OR sports fans OR the lies that people tell.
4. Divide the grocery shopper, car buyer, bargain hunter, or other kind of shopper into his or her components.
5. Classify types of movies, such as the horror movie OR the science fiction movie OR the romantic comedy OR the action movie OR the buddy movie.
6. Divide a particular genre of movie into its components. Do NOT divide into the beginning, middle, and end of a movie – that is NOT an effective division.
7. Classify ways of coping with a cold OR attitudes towards money OR attitudes toward exercising OR ways of protecting the environment.
8. Divide roommates OR drivers OR passengers on a bus OR shoppers OR employees OR employers according to the Seven Deadly Sins. You should pick only a few sins to discuss in your essay (3-4 sins).
9. Choose the ways people behave in stressful situations or the ways people apologize.
10. Classify hobbies popular amongst university students.