GUIDELINES FOR WRITING THE THREE BRIEF ETHICAL ANALYSIS PAPERS
PURPOSE: To practice your ethical decision-making skills as they apply to dilemmas which arise in the context of counseling clients, or in the profession of counseling itself.
LENGTH: The papers will have a maximum length of 3 pages (two pages for the text of the paper and the third page only for the References).
MARGINS: 1-inch margins on all four sides.
FONT: Times New Roman (standard for academic writing)
1. Read the case study.
2. Identify the two Moral Principles you believe are the most applicable to the case and state why.
3. Identify at least one ethical standard from the ACA Code of Ethics (2014) that pertains to the
case and state how.
4. Identify at least one MN Statute that pertains to the case and state how (if there are no statutes
pertaining to this case, just say so and move to the next step).
5. Identify at least two core personal values that you believe apply to the case and
discuss how those personal values influence or guide your thinking.
6. Using The Practitioner’s Guide to Ethical Decision Making (Holly Forester-Miller, PhD &
Thomas E. Davis, PhD, 2016) discuss how you would resolve the ethical dilemma.
This paper encourages you to be brief and concise in your thinking and writing. View it as less of a research paper and more of a tool to practice integrating the sources of input listed above in your decision-making style. The references do not need to go beyond the sources listed above.