Write a 750-1000 word essay about a topic in which you argue for the existence of a particular
phenomenon by stating a generalization about the topic. Then you will support that generalization (in
the form of a thesis statement) by choosing to write a single-example illustration essay or a multiple-
example illustration essay (see Unit V, Lesson 2). The essay should be written in the style and form
described within Unit V.
Purpose: Throughout Unit V, we have discussed the conventions of the illustration essay. The purpose of
this assignment is to measure your mastery of those conventions by putting your knowledge to practice.
In a larger context, the purpose of
EH 1010, English Composition I 4
writing an illustration essay is to convey an idea to the reader by providing illustrations (examples) that
will solidify the existence of a topic.
Process: For the illustration essay, you will complete the following steps:
1. Choose a topic: See the methods for developing a topic and the suggested list of topics in Unit V,
2. Decide if you want to write a single-example or multiple-example essay: See Unit V, Lesson 2, for
more instruction on the differences between single-example and multiple-example essays.
3. Collect illustrations: See Unit V, Lesson 1, for more information about different kinds of illustrations.
See Unit V, Lesson 4, for more information about how to gather illustrations.
4. Craft your thesis statement: See Unit V, Lesson 5, for more information on how to write a thesis. Note
that you want to craft your thesis according to whether you choose to write a single-example or a
5. Draft the essay: For each section of the essay, see the following: Unit V, Lesson 6, for the introduction;
Unit V, Lesson 7, for the body paragraphs; and Unit V, Lesson 8, for the conclusion.
Stylistic details: All essays must meet the following requirements:
Write in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
Include one-inch margins on all sides.
Use double spacing (top-to-bottom every page, to include above and below titles and centered
Include an APA title page (for all essays) and a reference list that includes all of the sources used in the
Include a header.
Include page numbers (upper-right corner only).
Adhere to APA convention and documentation style (See the CSU citation guide for assistance.).
At least one source is required. All sources used must be cited.
Information about accessing the grading rubric for this assignment is provided below.